Thursday, October 1, 2015

I Had Their Scent, It was Hard to Describe

Warning: Mild grotesque horror

Part 3 of 4 of a multi part prompt dealing with the senses.

I’m not some two bit tracker. I don’t put an ear to the ground and tell you that someone passed this way ‘not but an hour ago’. I’ve been blessed…or cursed. Depends on how you look at it, though today there was only one way to look at it. The creatures we were trailing were about as foul a thing as I had yet encountered. I had their scent to be sure, but it was hard to describe: rotten blood sausage, three day old standing sewage from a dysentery camp, a microwaved Chihuahua? Never before had my sensitive nose had to withstand such ongoing offenses.

“Yeah, they came this way.”

The hunter grunted. “Didn’t really need you to tell me that.”

We were standing over remains, though of what unfortunate animal, there wasn’t enough left intact to say.
“Sure, but I can also say that they stopped here about an hour ago and are heading southeast at approximately 12 miles an hour.”

“How in the crap do you know any of that?”

“Do you really want me to explain it to you or do you want to go kill these things?”

No comments:

Post a Comment